August 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Mat!

Mat loves to try new things around town and experience Austin. For his birthday this year, he wanted to celebrate by eating at one of his favorite Austin restaurants- Shady Grove. He loves anything with Green Chile sauce, so this is one of his favorites. We don't eat there very often, but we enjoyed it!

As Mat was getting ready for work that morning, we were talking about how birthdays just aren't the same when you're older and have to go to work on your special day. I said something about how you don't even get to take cupcakes to work with you (like you do in 2nd grade!). We decided this was a perfect time to try a new Austin favorite, Hey Cupcake, for a birthday cupcake.

Mat ordered 2 cupcakes- a Standard (white cake with chocolate icing) and a Red Velvet- one to eat there and one to save for later.
Baby Kelso enjoyed his share of the cupcake too! He was doing flips after I finished my Michael Jackson (chocolate cake with white buttercream icing) cupcake.
After our cupcakes, we drove around downtown and even stopped to see the bats fly out from the Congress Avenue bridge. We were a little late and ended up having to watch them from the parking lot, but it was still impressive! My mom was here for the night, and I know she enjoyed getting to celebrate with Mat and see a different side of Austin than she is used to!

4 comments:

Gi Gi & pop said...

How neat! All of my kids and grandkids do the neatest things! Of course, Ft Stockton does not have a Hey, Cupcake. Does Marfa, Emily???? Anyway, I loved the pictures and the blog.......also, good to know some of Mat's likes!

Blair said...

speaking of cupcakes - know what i recently saw an add for? ice cream CUPCAKES from coldstone creamery! i thought that was the cutest idea and want to try them!

Unknown said...

What a fun way to spend a birthday! We have a new cupcake place in OKC that I hear is great. I think I may have to take Rob to try it out!

Emily said...

Love Hey Cupcake...they have one closer now too...over by Phils off Burnet. And the Michael Jackson is definately my cupcake of choice!