April 1, 2012

Church Retreat

This past weekend, we headed out to our church's annual family retreat.  Last year we had a family cabin since Levi was so little, but this year we were preparing for some interesting sleeping arrangements!  I knew it would be worth it, but I was mentally preparing myself for a stressful weekend.

Mindi and I had hopes of getting to the retreat for dinner, so we took the kids and left early on Friday afternoon.  Mat and Jeff were thankful to have a few extra hours at work (and I think they were both thankful to not have to deal with stressed wives!)  Between potty breaks, a few stops to ease my stomach from the twisty roads, and traffic, we just barely made it in time for dinner.  We got everything unpacked and all 3 kids fell asleep without any issues!  We were so relieved!  I think we all slept well that night!

Saturday was a great day with some devotional time (led by Curt Niccum- a bible professor that taught at OC when Mat and I were there), playing in the water and sand, and climbing on the rocks.  Mat had dinner duty this year, so for part of afternoon, Levi climbed on these large rocks that surround a picnic area.  We climbed, counted and walked along those rocks for almost 30 minutes.  It kept us busy!

Two of my favorite guys enjoying lunch outside.  
Mat, Mindi, and I sat on the porch during naptime on Saturday afternoon reading, talking, and gently reminding friends that there were sleeping babies inside.
Levi had SO MUCH FUN in the water!  He and Mat "fished" with sticks and a plastic pool toy for quite a while, and they walked up and down this shallow area of the river looking for more fish.  
 Another highlight of the water was the waterfall.  At first, Levi was scared of the loud noise, but after just a few minutes he loved exploring the area (with close supervision, of course!) 
Sunday we had worship and a picnic lunch before we cleaned up the cabins and headed home.  It was a wonderful weekend, and Levi had a great time!  He was already talking about camping again on our way home.  We feel so blessed to have a church family that provides this opportunity for us!

3 comments:

Jim said...

Family camping builds great memories. Remember the leaking tent?

Lora said...

I write about the leaking tent every year during writing workshop. :)

sue said...

Condo camping builds good memories as well!! ;-)