June 15, 2009

San Francisco


Mat's family celebrates 30th birthdays with special trips.  A few years ago the girls went to New York to celebrate Mindy's birthday, and this year we got to go to San Francisco to celebrate Marilee's 30th!  

We left early (4:30 am) Thursday morning so we could maximize our time in San Francisco! We drove to Sausalito to check out our condo for the weekend.  It was amazing... I wish I had taken some pictures.  We had a great view of downtown across the bay.  That afternoon we took a harbor cruise under the Golden Gate bridge and around Alcatraz. The water was rough, but there were quite a few sail boats and kite boarders out on the bay.  I can't imagine swimming in that cold water!  After the cruise, we had some delicious clam chowder in a bread bowl at Fisherman's Wharf and took in some more beautiful views of the bridge at an overlook.  
Friday was spent driving into the wine country and exploring 2 different wineries.  We enjoyed the drive and taking in the views.  At the first winery we had beautiful views of the wine country, got to go into their wine caves, and learned a lot about the process of making their wine.  I didn't participate in any tastings, but I heard that the wine was good!  After lunch we visited a second winery and got to ride a tram up the hill to the winery. We took a self-guided tour (and didn't learn near as much!) but enjoyed the views here also.  

Saturday we drove up to Muir Woods.  It is a small grove of redwoods just a few miles from downtown San Francisco. This was one of Mat's favorite parts of our trip a few years ago.  We took a short hike through the park and enjoyed the amazing trees.  The picture to the right is of all 4 of us inside a tree!  Saturday night we headed to AT&T Park to watch the a baseball game.  It is a neat ballpark with great views of the bay!  Once the sun went down it was a chilly night, but we enjoyed the game.

We spent Sunday finishing up our list of "must-dos" before heading home.  We drove down Lombard street (the crookedest street), shopped and enjoyed some crepes at Pier 39, and took in some more views of the city on a trolly ride.  It was a wonderful girl trip!  Happy Birthday Marilee!



7 comments:

Jeannie said...

I am glad you get to participate in such fun trips as one of the Kelso girls! Can I be adopted? The pictures are great. The Giants get to play in a beautiful ballpark! WOW! I am glad everyone will get to see how cute you look pregnant, too! Will you do some pics from San Antonio with Mat?

Mindi Tipps said...

Your pictures are beautiful but I have to say I kept thinking how adorable you look pregnant! Looks like you had a great time though and I'm glad you're back safe and can rest!

Ashley said...

Fun! I've heard San Francisco is fun! And look at your belly! I love it! I think you should start documenting belly pics!

Sarah and Eric said...

Wow that park is beautiful! I can't wait to see you, it's been too long!

Emily said...

looks like a fun trip. your pictures of the different flowers are gorgeous!

Blair said...

Lora, I loved the pictures! And how CUTE are you?! I haven't seen you since March (how sad), so seeing your adorable belly makes it so much more REAL for me. AHHHH I'm so excited. The only thing... going to a winery and not getting to taste the wine?! Now that's just mean. (But it's worth it ha!) Love you!!

Erin said...

Beautiful pictures! And the belly was my favorite part!