November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

Mat and I had a very busy, very happy Thanksgiving! We spent the first part of our break in College Station with my family. I wish I had a picture of this Thanksgiving. There were about 30 of us at my aunt's house- including 5 small children! It was crazy and tons of fun. We had fun as always playing lots of games, eating lots of food and enjoying catching up. It is hard to get us all together, and I am thankful that we are able to do it as often as we do! Here is a picture of most of us last April:

Last year Mat's family rented a beach house in Galveston, and we had so much fun they decided to do it again! On Friday, Mat and I left College Station to meet up with them in Galveston. We had more great food, played with our precious niece Kadence and had a few more games to enjoy- including a family game of Risk. (I watched but did NOT play!) Grammer, Mat's grandmother, took him out of the game first!

Mat and I had a chance to drive around and check out how Galveston is beginning to recover from Ike. Some parts of the island are recovering and rebuilding, but the devastation of the hurricane is still very evident. Last year we spent an afternoon shopping on the Strand in downtown Galveston. It is a street lined with historic buildings and neat shops- including Mat's favorite, La King- the old fashion soda fountain and candy store. This year, the shops were still there, but they were completely empty. Many of the stores had signs saying things about rebuilding and coming back. We're excited to see the Strand back to what it used to be!

We had a great time with our family and were reminded of all of the things we have to be thankful for!

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

I love the background on your blog...how did you do that? Can I change the Maxey blog or do you have to do it because you started the blog?

I am glad you and Mat had fun over Thanksgiving. I got my tree up which I am glad about.

Mindi Tipps said...

You didn't want to play Risk?! Ha! :) Glad you all had fun!

Megan said...

I like how everybody is wearing short sleeves and shorts in a picture taken at Thanksgiving! You've gotta love Texas. :)

I am glad you had a good time over the holidays.

Love the background!

Ashley said...

So glad to hear that y'all had a good Thanksgiving! We you guys be able to make it for Christmas? I would love to see you.

And did you get my email? I never heard back from you and wanted to make sure you got it so you didn't think I was ignoring you.

Love you.

Blair said...

Like Mom said, I LOVE your layout - so cute!! Did Mom tell you that Kyle "let" me put up my tree already? It was something fun today after coming back to the "empty-house" feeling as we said goodbye to all the family! Also, I wish I had more pictures of this weekend too. I always say that, but I guess I'm just having too much fun to think about it at the time. Maybe next year haha... Love you!

Gi Gi & pop said...

I know, I know, we are not suppose to be envious but I have to confess I am so envious that all of you got to be together for Thanksgiving. I wish we could all be together for Christmas. Maybe next year, huh?
All of you have a merry Christmas wherever you are. We love you very much. Gi Gi