July 21, 2008

The ESPYS

Tonight Mat and I watched part of the ESPYS (the sports awards). They give all sorts of awards for the year like best female athlete, best male athlete, biggest upset, greatest play... It's like most other award shows, but one award stuck out in my mind- the award for the Best Moment of the Year.

There were 3 nominees: John Lester (a cancer survivor who pitched an awesome game for the Red Sox), Danica Patrick (she won a Indy car race that had never been won by a woman) and 3 college softball players (2 girls from Central Washington carried their hurt opponent around the bases to complete her home run). All 3 nominees did provide great sports moments for the year, but the 3 softball players won the award (and rightfully so!). Here is a video showing their great moment:

(Sorry there's a lot to read before you actually see the video but it's a good explanation of the story)





6 comments:

Kristi said...

I've seen this several times and it brings tears to my eyes each time!

Mindi Tipps said...

That was a very selfless act seeing as how it made them lose! Great story!

Blair said...

We watched the ESPYS, too (have ya MET my husband??) - it was a pretty entertaining show huh? I thought Justin did a good job as host - his comment about Eli Manning having a good year was soo funny! Have a good week.

Joyce B. said...

That was touching and the first I'd heard of it. I thought you were going to mention how hysterical Justin was as host. I know he had writers but he delivered everything well and that musical number made me laugh out loud several times.

Lora said...

I do think that Justin did a good job as host. Joyce, I also laughed out loud during that musical number!

Britney said...

That was a great video; we didn't get to see that part of the ESPY's, probably 'cause I was watching "Army Wives." What I saw of the awards show was hilarious - JT did an awesome job...are there any guys that are gonna read these comments and see how much a bunch of WOMEN enjoyed watching the ESPY's?? : )